Thursday 22 February 2007

Gardening Weekend

Gardening Weekend,
What a fabulous weekend it was, both with the weather, which felt positively balmy for February, and the amount done in the garden!OH found a pallet a work which he bought home for me........I do love a pallet, so versatile, I think he had thought he was going to have most of it for kindling, but you can't waste good boards when you have a compost heap to build, so I bagsied them!My attack on the back of the garden started Friday, I needed some more sandstone to edge the pond, and had seen some behind the horrid wire fence that was here, so did an investigation and discovered the boundary wooden fence was quite a way back behind the laurels, sooooooo down came the wire fence, out came the sandstone, plus a few more slabs, and then I started on the laurel hedge with a saw!!Did about half until was too pooped and our friend turned up to drop round some onion sets, and I mentioned I could have done with him and his chainsaw earlier! Well being a kind chap he promised to arrive with it the next day to finish the bit I had started!So now it is all cut back, it doesn't look very pretty, but I am hoping it will green up in the next couple of months.
I made a compost bin from pallets and old bits of wood, leaf container has been moved back, and I have gained 3-4 feet of garden!! So VERY happy!Mind you when I stood back and looked at the pile of laurel it was a bit daunting, so got the incinerator going and managed to burn a fair amount of it last night, and was back out there this morning cutting it up and now have a pile of "burn" logs, and have filled Mum and mine's green bins, and have 2 sheets full to take to the tip. So if the rain holds off another bonfire tonight, and I do love a good bonfire, memories of childhood in Northwood Hills at my Aunt and Uncles, burning all their garden waste, with a mug of cocoa and a packet of crisps! It used to be quite an adventure I remember.Dragged the girls out and let them take out thier pyromanical tendencies on the fire, they soon discovered wet laurel leaves make the most amazing popping noise like fireworks, so it kept the 3 of us amused for quite a while, we even dragged the bench nearby to sit and watch, whilst my very kind hubby made the roast inside.Hubby put a lid on the old house water tank, now a water butt, complete with on/off tap running directly to my bog garden, I had laid the piping but couldn't find a tap to control it, so gave it to him as a mission. He has done a great job, just waiting for the rain to fill it and to see if we have any leaks!Chainsaw friend and wife, who have a plot near mine, turned up on Sunday armed with a plastic greenhouse from Morrisons, HORRAH! He had noticed this house hadn't got a greenhouse, which I really miss, and commented on who was going to start the seeds for the plot then? (I usually got them going and divided them out, as they are really busy peeps) Mentioned I had my eye on this plastic g'house but no money left this month, an lo and behold they turn up with one. The condition is I get all the seeds started, which is fine by me. So this morning after the laurel clearup I have flattened an area for it, am putting down weed supressing membrane, and hopefull some slabs over the top of that. If I can get the rest of the wood burnt today, I can get the greenhouse up tomorrow hopefully, and start to get some seeds started, as I am beginning to get itchy fingers! (Especially when the weather is as good as it was this weekend)Only gave up out there today cos I have housework to do (so why am I sitting here???) and was feeling peckish.Well had better get on with that housework so I can get outside and have another burn up!

No comments: